For the Appeal Commission response to COVID-19,
please click the COVID Response button. 


You may want to hire someone to repre​sent you through the appeals process.

You have the option of representing yourself or finding someone to help with an appeal to the Appeals Commission.  

A representative is someone who is authorized, in writing, to act on your behalf (preparing your appeal and making arguments during your hearing). 


A lawyer, union representative, independent consultant, friend, relative, or other individual may act as your representative.  

If you decide to be represented by a lawyer or someone else who charges a fee, you will be responsible for paying that fee. 


There are several different ways to find a representative.

Advisor Office for Workers' Compensation

The Advisor Office for Alberta Workers’ Compensation provides free-of-charge services to workers and employers who require assistance with their Workers' Compensation Board (WCB) claim file, including appeals of WCB decisions. Advisor Office representatives offer injured workers and employers advice, information, and independent representation during the appeals process. The Advisor Office for Alberta Workers’ Compensation is an independent program of the Appeals Commission that is separate from the WCB. The Advisor Office has offices in both Edmonton and Calgary, and can be contacted

Canadian Association of Workers' Advisors and Advocates (CAWAA)

The Canadian Association of Workers' Advisors and Advocates (CAWAA) provides free confidential services to injured workers who need assistance in appealing their workers compensation claims.

Canadian Association of Workers' Advisors and Advocates information.

Law Society of Alberta

The Law Society of Alberta can help you find a lawyer or find information about a lawyer.

Find a lawyer through the Law Society of Alberta.  


There are a few questions you might want to ask a potential representative:

  • Do you have any experience with Alberta WCB?

  • Are you familiar with the Workers' Compensation Act (WCA) and WCB Policy?

  • What services do you provide?

  • How much do you charge for your services?

See the Standards of Behaviour for Representatives and Participants (Practice Guideline #3B) and Filing an Appeal (Practice Guideline #1) for more information.


You will need to provide your representative with written permission to get a copy of your file and act as your representative.

​Notice of Representation Form

The Notice of Representation form gives us permission to discuss your appeal with your representative. 

After you have a chosen a representative, you need to sign a Notice of Representation form and send it to the Appeals Commission.

​​The Notice of Representation form:​

  • Must be submitted with the other required appeal forms (see Submitting an Appeal for more information)
  • Must be dated within 30 days of being submitted (if it is not signed within 30 days we will ask you to submit a new form)