We are a quasi-judicial tribunal that is independent from the Workers’ Compensation Board (WCB).
WE ARE THE FINAL LEVEL OF APPEAL
The Appeals Commission is the final level of appeal for workers and employers who disagree with a WCB Dispute Resolution and Decision Review Body (DRDRB) decision.
After the Appeals Commission issues a decision, further steps can be taken in certain circumstances. Read about available options after you file your appeal.
WE ARE INDEPENDENT FROM THE WCB
The Appeals Commission and the WCB are separate organizations that are independent from each other:
- Appeals Commission staff are Government of Alberta employees. They are not WCB staff.
- The Commissioners at the Appeals Commission who hear appeals and make decisions are appointed by the Lieutenant Governor of Alberta.
- The head of the Appeals Commission is the Chief Appeals Commissioner who reports to the Minister of Jobs, Economy and Trade.
- The Appeals Commission is located in a building separate from the WCB.
- WCB employees and members of the WCB are not legally allowed to be Commissioners at the Appeals Commission while they are working at the WCB.
WE ARE A QUASI-JUDICIAL TRIBUNAL
A tribunal is a body that is appointed to look into a specific review or appeal issues and make decisions.
The Appeals Commission is a quasi-judicial tribunal, which means that it has powers and procedures similar to a court of law, but it is less formal.
OUR AUTHORITY COMES FROM THE WORKERS' COMPENSATION ACT
The Appeals Commission is part of the Government of Alberta’s Ministry of Labour. The Workers’ Compensation Act gives the Appeals Commission the authority to hear appeals and make decisions.
Section 13.1 (1) of the Workers’ Compensation Act gives the Appeals Commission the authority to hear appeals and make decisions.
Subject to sections 13.2(11) and 13.4, the Appeals Commission has exclusive jurisdiction to examine, inquire into, hear and determine all matters and questions arising under this Act and the regulations in respect of:
- Appeals from decisions under section 46 made by a review body appointed under section 45
- Appeals from decisions under section 120 made by a review body appointed under section 119
- Appeals from determinations of the Board under section 21(3)
- Any other matters assigned to it under this or any other Act or the regulations under this or any other Act, and the decision of the Appeals Commission on the appeal or other matter is final and conclusive, and is not open to question or review in any court